Eldiron is currently under active development and a v1 is planned for the first quarter of 2023. Eldiron is open source and licensed under the MIT.
Features of v1
- Support games similar to Ultima 4 / 5 or any game which uses a rectangular grid layout.
- Eldiron comes with integrated tile-maps or your can use your own square tiles with up to four levels of transparency.
- Single-player or multi-player experiences. Eldiron has a sophisticated multi-threaded server architecture to allow for as many player or NPC characters as possible.
- Cross platform. Eldiron is written in Rust and can nearly run everywhere, i.e. on the Web, macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android etc. Eldiron Creator can run on any desktop.
- A sophisticated behavior node graph makes creation of AI behavior for NPCs easy. The node system is backed by a full-featured scripting language.
- Eldiron Creator has editors for tile-maps, regions and node based graphs for character behavior, systems (like crafting), items and the overall game logic.
Retro 3D dungeons and regions will be supported in either v1 or v1.5. I am working on a procedural language just for that.
You can download the current pre-release in Releases.
Join the community on Discord to get in contact.
- Being able to create games similar to the RPGs of the 80’s and 90’s.
- Support single-player or multi-player games and even MMOs.
- Over time support more perspectives like top-down and isometric.
I am currently working on the Eldiron Book. Please refer to the book for more detailed information on the creator, the server and clients and the overall project.